pages

Sunday, November 2, 2014

Boasting in the Names of God


by Elise, age 11

Over the years I have at various times studied the names of God. This has allowed me to understand God in a deeper way. I am currently studying the names of God again using Kay Arthur’s book entitled “Lord, I Want to Know You.” As I travel this road of motherhood with 10 children ranging in ages 1 all the way up to 19, the Lord continues to speak to my mother’s heart how I can claim His names even in this journey of motherhood filled with so many everyday challenges. I am also striving to teach my children these names, so they, too, can claim the power that is found in His name. The devil wants nothing more than to snatch these  truths away from us. The names of God bring life, hope and healing. They are names we can boast in with full confidence!

One of my favorite Bible verses is Proverbs 18:10 which states “The name of the Lord is a strong tower; the righteous run to it and are safe.” We can turn to our Protector when all of our own energy is used up, when we are overcome by our many weaknesses and can no longer run in our own strength. That sounds like us as mothers many times, doesn't it? We can be tempted to turn to our friends, to engulf ourselves in social media or simply plop down on the sofa to watch another movie to get away from it all- when what we really need to do is run to God and fellowship with him in Bible reading and prayer. Many of us today really don’t know God.

Paul’s prayer in Philippians 3 is “that I may know Him.” In Jesus’ high priestly prayer He prays that we “may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent.” Our goal in life should be to know God! In Bible times a name represented a person’s character. Likewise, the names of God represent His character- who He is. By studying the names of God, we can learn to boast (trust, have confidence in) in the name of the Lord. (Psalm 20:7)

Spurgeon said, "The highest science, the loftiest speculation, the mightiest philosophy which can ever engage the attention of a child of God, is the name, the nature, the person, the work, the doings and the existence of the great God whom we call Father." We should desire to know our God! 

I hope to share in the following posts the different names of God and how boasting in His names can help us as we strive to be godly mothers to our children. I will also share a Bible verse for each name that I encourage you to write down on an index card and try to memorize, as I am trying to do (a weak area in my life is memorizing and I am really trying to work on this!).

Verse to memorize:
“The name of the Lord is a strong tower, the righteous run to it and are safe.”

Proverbs 18:10


IDEA for kids: have your children illustrate this verse and memorize it. An easy way to memorize is through song. The Harrow Family sings this song on their CD "The Heaven's Declare." (Available from Amazon).



by Luke, age 9


by Ashlyn, age 7

 by Edmond, age 9


by Eva, age 5 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your children's wonderful drawings. And for the beautiful reminder to bring God back into the center focus of our lives.

    ReplyDelete