pages

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Happy Birthday Cort!






My oldest son turns 15 today!  Growing up with only sisters, I was thrilled when Cort was born.  But I admit that I knew nothing about boys!  Abe is of the mindset that you give little boys real tools, and expose them to real life circumstances. Thankfully, he didn't give in to my many apprehensions, or Cort probably wouldn't be who he is today.  I thought I would name 15 character traits that I admire in my son for his 15th birthday... And no, he is in no way perfect, nor has he attained. But we are so thankful to God for blessing us with a son who is striving to live for the Lord.


  1. He is obedient and knows how to follow orders (very important in a big family :) )
  2. He is an able young man.  I don't know of too many tasks that Cort won't tackle.  "I can't do that" is not in his vocabulary
  3. He is self-disciplined, not self-indulgent
  4. He is honest and embraces the truth.  A few months back while at the store, an older man checking out our groceries made a mistake in our favor.  I hadn't noticed it, but as we were walking away Cort told me we had to go back and pay for the items the man had missed, because God would know even if no-one else would
  5. He has a contented spirit.  He is not quick to ask for anything, but will make due with what he has and makes the best of a less than ideal situation
  6. He strives to walk in the light.  He desires to read, watch and listen to things that glorify the Lord (and I love that he shares those things with me)
  7. He is respectful of his elders 
  8. He doesn't give up easily.  When he wants to learn or do something, he perseveres and sees it through.  He has farmed several acres of land by hand
  9. He loves children!  Nothing warms my heart more than to see him playing with and teasing his little sisters.  He is always genuinely happy when we are expecting another baby :)
  10. He strives to make the Bible his guide.  He has put us to shame with his consistency in reading God's Word every morning
  11. He knows how to serve
  12. He has a great sense of humor.  He knows how to make me smile when I'm having a rough day (see his pig below)
  13. He is a very hard worker.  Abe prefers working with Cort more than anyone else
  14. He takes initiative.  He does things without being told (wish they were all more like that!)
  15. He's a go-getter and loves to learn new things.  I love that he has so many varied interests and pursuits- cars, welding, animals, farming, wood-working, machines, drawing, fencing, music...      
Cort sometimes struggles that he is different then everyone else.  But I always tell him I am so glad that he is different.  The  Bible is full of examples of men (and women) who were different, but were living for God.  Having a "different spirit" from those around us, is a good thing!  In Numbers 14:24 it says "But my servant Caleb, because he has a different spirit in him and has followed Me fully, I will bring into the land where he went, and his descendants shall inherit it." Caleb didn't go along with the "crowd," but chose to follow God, despite the giants that seemed to be obstacles in the promised land.  He trusted God, when those around him doubted, and God rewarded him.  Our world needs more men and women like that, doesn't it? 

Happy Birthday to my sweet son- I love you so much!



No comments:

Post a Comment