pages

Saturday, May 11, 2013

Mothering Moments


I've spent the last few nights rocking my teething baby. My weary body cradles my sweet little girl as I watch her sleep against me. I SACRIFICE much needed sleep- I'm her mother...


I snuggle with my 2 year old in the wee hours of the morning. I brush her soft curls through my fingers as we huddle in the blankets. I read my Bible, she "reads" hers with her cute little lisp. I CHERISH this time- I'm her mother...

I rise to the challenge of learning to cook and bake a whole new way to help my 4 year old with food allergies. A lot of trial and error, but I'm making headway. I NOURISH my family- I'm their mother...


I watch my 5 year old practice her dance for her upcoming recital, her eyes gleaming and bright. Her little sisters spin and twirl along. I LOVE my giggling little ballerinas- I'm their mother...


My 8 year old explains for the umpteenth time how he is going to discover a planet, even if it takes him 60 years. Of course, he is going to name it after me! I ENCOURAGE his childhood dreams- I'm his mother...


I help his twin brother with borrowing in his math lessons once again. I patiently walk him through the steps and watch him do several problems on his own. I am TEACHING. He then explains to me how he can make plastic out of simple household items like vinegar and milk. He talks me through the process and I listen, amazed. I am TEACHABLE- I'm his mother...



I observe my 10 year old carrying her baby sister on her hip with love filled eyes. She knows more about babies and managing a house at her age than I did when I was 22! I try to LEAD by example, although far from perfectly- I'm her mother...


My 12 year old loves seeing life through the lens of a camera. She's teaching me to be more observant of color and details all around me, praising God for His beauty. I DELIGHT in her artistic ability- I'm her mother...



It's still dark out and I hear the car drive away over the gravel. My 16 year old son is leaving for work and I need to get up! I admire him for his discipline, hard work and the man he has become. Yet a piece of me wants to keep him with me and for things to stay the same. I PRAY for my son- I'm his mother.

                                        

I spend several hours with my 18 year old shopping for a graduation dress.  I ENJOY her company and adult conversation. She is still so unsure of what the future holds for her.  I remind her that she doesn't have to fit into a mold (our family usually doesn't!). I POINT her to the One who holds her life in His hands- I'm her mother...



3 comments:

  1. Lovely post. Thanks for being a godly mother! And tell Rylie I LOVE her beautiful photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for inspiring some beautiful memories for me with this post. My kids are starting to spill over into their forties, but I am still their mother and so proud of them and I so appreciate their friendship and the 13 grandkids they have given me (so far).

    ReplyDelete
  3. And you don't think you write poetry? I know where Laina gets her amazing talent. That was just lovely.

    And Rylie certainly has an artists eye for detail & composition. Beautiful photos.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete