pages

Sunday, September 16, 2012

Kids Can Make: Cornbread!


This is another recipe I teach my children to make. We love homemade cornbread with chili or to go along with another meal. It helps me to have someone else make it so I can concentrate on the main meal. You can also substitute sugar for the honey, just add 1/2 cup organic/raw sugar to the dry ingredients (more if you like it sweeter). We have also substituted melted butter when we were out of oil, which makes the cornbread richer and more buttery in flavor. When I go dairy-free after having my babies, we use rice milk in place of regular milk, and it works just fine... a pretty forgiving recipe!

  2 cups cornmeal
  2 cups unbleached or whole-wheat pastry flour
  1 teaspoon salt
  4 teaspoons baking powder
  2 eggs
  1/4 cup oil (we use grapeseed)
  2 cups milk
  1/3 to 1/2 cup honey or maple syrup

Pre-heat oven to 400. Grease 9x13 pan. Mix dry ingredients together. Make well in center of dry ingredients and add wet ingredients. Mix until just moistened, do not over-mix or cornbread will be dry. Bake for 20 minutes until lightly golden.

No comments:

Post a Comment